Monday, January 26, 2009

Looking Back

Weeks like this one where I have a radio package to produce and an article to write, I wonder why Journalism? And truthfully, I am not so sure.

I guess it started back in my final year of high school when I was asked with a good friend of mine to be the high school newspaper editor. Without hesitation we said yes. What we published that year was less than successful. The editions were short and far apart and lacked any sort of substance. Also I was one of those kids who took double art... not physics and chemistry. So when it came time to apply to Cegep science was out of the picture and my lack of mathematical capabilities made commerce less than desirable. Therefore, I went into Cinema and Communications and found myself in a program I hated. I thought about switching but I was too much of a chicken to let myself fall behind a semester. There were some perks to such a program. I never had more than four days or school or more that two classes a day. The best part though, was becoming friends with everyone else who hated it. As you can imagine, we developped quite a large clique. When University applications came around many of us lacked any creativity or ambition to apply to anything besides communications. That of course was my second choice, Journalism being the first. Getting accepted felt like such an accomplishment and spent the summer excitingly awaiting the fall. Now I find myself already in semester two and totally unsure if I want to pursue Journalism at all....

There was really no point to this story but I was hoping conjuring up some nostalgic memories would help inspired me to get my homework done...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how about fear of failure, college drop out and unemployment - forget finding a job in retail. Oh and also the fact that you will be great in the field, it has a future and everything great just takes hard work. You can do it! :-)

antidotem said...

I know that I constantly ask myself what the hell I'm doing at Dawson.
My miserable previous semester is wearing off.
I have more friends. I have more hope for the future.
Embets, you can do whatever you want to in life. Stick with what you love and you'll never have to worry about working a day in your life.
x

Anonymous said...

EMMM
hahah i liked my shout out.
and this made me sad :(
its okay if youre not sure what you want to do! maybe youll decide you like it! if not...its okay!