Wednesday, October 15, 2008

W - is at the end of the alphabet

For one of my class assignments, we had to do a "streeter" which is where you ask people on the street one question, in one location. Easy enough. Our question was preassigned: are you planning on voting in tuesday's election? why or why not? So I headed out to a relatively busy street corner near a bus stop and a grocery store. I was so nervous I had to walk around the block several times but eventually I got it done.

It was miserable.

Today in class we had to discuss our experience. Now my teacher decided that she would start right up at the top of the class list and ask each individual student to talk about the streeter. As always, I have the pleasure of being W. Being last on the class list, I had the pleasure of spending an hour listening until it was eventually my turn. So as my classmates told their stories, it seemed that all of them had a good experience with a few exceptions here or there. One girl was told by a passerby that they had no spare change to give her. All in all though everyone seemed to have little trouble at all. But not me, I suffered through this.

Here is a list of what went wrong:

- Was so nervous, I walked around the block 2X before even taking out my pen and paper
- Finally asked some man who after sharing with me his most intimate thoughts, wouldn't give me his name AKA I cannot use him in my article
- There was a man who was a little "off" who throughout my streeter was calling out questions to me. I finally decided to go approach him and had to hear all about his life
- I approached a nice looking man with a baby stroller and I was getting very useful information. Then his wife came along and right in front of me she goes to the man "who is she?" Let us not forget I was standing right there. Awkward.
- I also had the pleasure of having a couple fight when I asked them if they were voting and one of them said no but the other wouldn't accept this as an answer.
- As I have mentioned before, campers love to ruin my life and throughout my streeter I had camper interruptions and spent 15 minutes making small talk with parents and 10yr old girls
- BUT the best had to be when my "stepfather's" ex wife approached me
Well hello to you too!

P.S: Thank you Alex and Caro for visiting me, you probably saved me from tears.

1 comment:

caroline said...

thanks for the shout out!
dont worry it will get easier!