Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Really?

Clubbing is not my thing. Dancing is a talent I was born without and it takes a lot to get me near a club. Yet as my birthday approaches I find the unexplainable need to celebrate by going downtown. It is a feeling I can't possibly explain or justify given my hate for the scene. With a few days still to go till the big 1-9, there is ample time to run and hide, avoiding a club altogether...

Like most girls on Facebook, it isn't unusual to sign in and be greeted with a friendship request that makes you rethink your display picture. Some adds are even so sketchy that "block person" is the only appropriate response. Now this week I had one of the most interesting adds to date. Some Mr. sent in a request. The name seemed vaguely familiar so I ventured to his profile. Big Mistake. It appeared that every one of his friends on Facebook were EMILYs. Now this may be his attempt to find a long lost love but being the pessimist that I am, I quickly hit block and reject then proceeded to tweak my privacy settings.

This Facebook freak was nothing compared to the gentle looking old man on the bus who told me he wore his nice shirt today because it was his birthday. I smiled at his innocent remark. Another Big Mistake. He then explained that he was "going to visit a girl, a naughty kind of girl. She thinks shes a communist but she sells dopes." (Note that at the time I was reading my Communist textbook) Really? There was obviously something about me this week that attracted all these interesting characters.

2 comments:

amd said...

look at you, pickin' up left and right. haha.
pretty jokes story.

bgonshor said...

It must be the hair...
But seriously, I just imagined an old man turning to you with a huge smile on his face. That's amazing hahaha