Friday, April 17, 2009

My Scottish Alias or Identity Theft?

Clearly I am not studying as much as I should but there is just something about exams where you get the questions in advance that makes it hard to get motivated. Regardless of why I am not studying, I wanted to share this little private message I received several minutes ago:

Melissa Wilson: Hi...I am SO sorry if this is totally the wrong person, but did you ever live in Scotland?? I'm looking for an emily white I used to know!! Melissa Xx

Unfortunately for her she has the wrong emily...what is even worse though is that on facebook there are over 500 emily whites... pretty daunting of a task. When I replied to give her the bad news I asked how many other emilys she messaged - her response: well, you looked like the most likely guess at first (i was trying to see any familiar-ish faces...but we lost touch quite a while back, so it looks like a pretty hard task...I'll ask around old friends though and see if anyone else had any luck!! thanks, XX

I found this answer pretty interesting mainly because my display picture is of me with two other people so I wonder if it was actually me who looked familiar or those in the picture with me? Hmmm will never know I guess. Is it just me or is signing a private message to a stranger with two 'kisses (XX)' a little strange?

4 comments:

Jamie said...

just so you know, an alias is a different name, same person. the word you're looking for is "doppleganger"... i found mine a couple years ago ,some random dude from t.o.... not even jewish.

ps liking this semi-frequent posting.

Marta said...

It's a little wierd. But nice - at least it wasn't some kind of death mark. It's kind of cool though that you got looked up :) Even if it wasn't really for you. Feel sorry for this Melissa person. I hope she has a lot of patience.

Mouse-Click Rhetoric said...

Can I just be captain obvious for a moment and say maybe it's the hair? I mean the Scottish and the Irish aren't strangers to bright red. all I'm saying.

antidotem said...

That's just weird.
I don't think I would add kisses to a random message like that.
Hopefully she'll find her way.
And I agree with captain obvious.