Sunday, August 31, 2008

Corn Roast Kind of Weekend

My last weekend of freedom before entering the world of higher education was spent secluded up north. Cell phoneless, internetless, and friendless was not how I intended to savour my last bit of vacation. Unfortunately, Labour Day weekend / Grandma’s birthday is not a time you disobey your mother’s request to have you up at the country house. Despite my mother promising that I could spend the weekend in town, I knew that she was just saying this as a way to guilt me into coming. So on Saturday morning I packed my bag and headed up north. The lack of cell reception or internet connection could have been tolerable had I had a friend along for the weekend. After exhausting my “resources”, I found out that all my friends and my acquaintances were occupied with frosh recovery, their part time job, a wedding or their own form of family fun.

Upon arriving at the country house, I was welcomed by an ecstatic mother who was assured by my presence that her guilt still worked. Expecting the worse from this weekend I was relieved to see clear blue sky. Figuring this was a sign of things to come I relaxed and decided to make the best of it. Big mistake. Three hours later I found myself drunk at a corn roast with hicks averaging the age of 65. Cool.

At least all that intense partying left me ready to head back to school...


1 comment:

Jamie said...

very well done... this is what blogs are.... you may think they're boring, but they're not...