Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wild Things

I went to see Where the Wild Things Are with very little expectations because I did not want to be disappointed if it did not live up to my childhood memories. Firstly we were the only ones in the theatre but even given that was friday at 9, not the most popular time for a kids movie, I expected to see a few more nostalgic teens. I mean they sell Wild Things t-shirts at Urban Outfitters... that must mean it is cool to be a fan? The movie like the book had very little of a story line between when Max runs away and when Max returns but they somehow managed to pull off an hour and half visual masterpiece with an awesome soundtrack and a scene where you couldn't help but shed a tear. Plus the wild things were so real it was incredible (supposedly they used real fur with real people inside?) I fell in love with every single one.
Overall the movie did an pretty solid job of bringing Maurice Sendak's classic children's story to life.

1 comment:

antidotem said...

This was one of my favourite stories when I was a kid.
My mom would read it over and over again, so when I went to see it I had high hopes that they had taken the 9 line story book and turned it into a huge epic movie.
The Wild Things were so great. And yes, although some parts were super CGI, they were people in giant fur suits. The actor for Max, the costumes, the landscapes, the sountrack rocked my socks.
One thing that upset me though is that it was clearly no longer meant for kids.
All the kids I know who saw it were either terrified or bored out of their minds. I guess it was entirely meant for the nostalgic teens who read it when they were little.
Oh well.